USA - Major Attractions and Hikes of the West - A Travel Guide
Zion National Park
Location: 150 miles northeast of Las Vegas
Zion National Park is a real spectacular park! If you're looking for narrow and deep canyons you have come to the right place. Among those canyons is a place called 'The Narrows', which is quite easily accesible by hiking. During my US trip, this was my most favourite hike and although it's gives you wet feet it offers fantastic scenery! First, the facts:
* the trailhead is at the end of the parkroad
* you can continue as far as you want, I don't think there is a real end
* the trail officially follows the river at both side, but in practice you'll have to hike IN the river most of the time, so bring some sportshoes or sandals
* the canyon gets narrower with each yard you hike it and at certain points you can almost touch the walls with both hands at a time
* the canyon is as deep as 1800 feet in places.
At the beginning you might be tempted to find a way without wetting your shoes, but believe me: it's easier and faster to walk in the water! The scenery after two hours of hiking is really breathtaking and defenitely worth the trip.
Another fantastic hike in Zion National Park is the trip to Angels Landing, a viewpoint, 1800 feet above the valley. The trail starts at the Grotto, where you have to cross the river via a footbridge. Then simply follow the signs to Angels Landing.
At the end, you'll have a fantastic overview of the valley in both directions (see pictures at the top and the bottom of the page)...
Arches National Park / Bryce Canyon National Park / Canyonlands National Park / Capitol Reef National Park / Crater Lake National Park / Death Valley National Monument / Grand Canyon National Park / Lassen Volcanic National Park / Las Vegas / Lava Beds National Monument / Mesa Verde National Park / Monument Valley / Mount Rainier National Park / Olympic National Park / Petrified Forest National Park / Point Lobos State Park / San Francisco / Salt Lake City / Seattle / Sequoia National Park / Valley of Fire State Park / Yellowstone National Park / Yosemite National Park / Zion National Park